PostgreSQL, often referred to as Postgres, is a powerful open-source relational database management system (RDBMS) known for its scalability, robustness, and extensibility. It offers advanced features like ACID compliance, support for complex data types, and support for both SQL and NoSQL data. PostgreSQL is highly regarded for its performance, security, and reliability, making it a popular choice for applications ranging from small startups to large enterprises. Its active developer community continuously enhances and maintains the software. PostgreSQL is an excellent choice for data storage, analysis, and management in various domains, including web applications, data warehousing, and geospatial applications.
71. What is the purpose of the "EXPLAIN" command in PostgreSQL?
Answer:To analyze the execution plan of a SQL query
72. In PostgreSQL, what does the term "index" refer to in the context of performance tuning?
Answer:A data structure that provides quick access to specific columns
73. What is an "auto-vacuum" in PostgreSQL, and how does it relate to performance tuning?
Answer:A process that automatically reclaims storage and optimizes table maintenance
74. What is the purpose of "ANALYZE" in PostgreSQL's VACUUM command?
Answer:To update statistics about the table for query planning
75. How can you improve query performance for a frequently used column in PostgreSQL?
Answer:Create an index on the column
76. What is the purpose of "connection pooling" in PostgreSQL performance tuning?